[复制链接]
发表于 17-10-2018 12:30:29 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式

马上注册,结交更多好友,享用更多功能,让你轻松玩转社区。

您需要 登录 才可以下载或查看,没有帐号?FreeOZ用户注册

x
本帖最后由 yping88 于 17-10-2018 13:38 编辑

It's not easy being white and privileged

By Richard Glover

Finally, this week, Senator Pauline Hanson put her parliamentary motion – "It's OK to be white". She even, for a time, had the support of the 23 Coalition members in the Senate.

It was a moment that allowed white people to express our bewildered pain; a moment to contemplate all we've been through. Many of us sat and wept. At long last, we'd been given a voice.

Senator Pauline Hanson has at last given unoppressed white people a voice.
Senator Pauline Hanson has at last given unoppressed white people a voice.CREDIT:ALEX ELLINGHAUSEN

As Senator Hanson talked about the long history of white oppression, fragments of memory crowded in.

There was the way my boater used to cut into my forehead on the way to private school. The way neighbouring kids would pretend to be friendly just so they could use our backyard pool. The dinner parties where my parents would force me to recite Banjo Paterson poems to their friends in the gap between entree and main course.

Oh Pauline, thank you for letting my story be told.

Advertisement

I hear you say: "Was it really that bad, growing up white and privileged?" Let me give you two words: "tuna mornay".

We had to eat tuna mornay. All the time.

Not for us, the tasty multicultural meals eaten in other households, the aunties crowded around the stove, throwing in clumps of garlic, telling tales of the old country, the father decanting the red wine he'd made from the vines in the backyard, everyone laughing and joking before dancing around the backyard with arms around each other and bells on their shoes.

Not at our place.

For white folks, it was tuna mornay on a metal tray, eaten in front of the television, a clump of overcooked green beans if you were lucky. On Saturday night, it was incinerated lamb chops and brussels sprouts that had been cooked for three hours.

Advertisement

Still not sympathetic? Let me move on to breakfast. Breakfast was taken at the breakfast bar. It was consumed with 2GB radio playing at high volume in the background.

Later, as a teenager, I had to help my father count and wrap the coins from our family business, a newsagent. On many a night, my hands were black from counting the family money. To get them clean, I had to really scrub at them, using a stiff little nail brush. Sometimes I feared I might develop dermatitis!

Not for us, the tasty multicultural meals eaten in other households.

Also: the small coins were really hard to roll.

It was tough for Dad, as well. He had to lift the heavy bags of coins into his car, which was an expensive sports car, so it hardly ever worked. On some occasions, he had to catch a taxi to the bank.

Advertisement

Stories like this are part of the great silence; the white, middle-class pain that is never spoken about, never acknowledged.

Pauline, I realise, is speaking for all white people – both rich and poor. Yet it was worse if you were both white and wealthy.

In some middle-class households – right here on Sydney's North Shore – children as young as five were forced to eat Vogel's bread. Not the sliced stuff; this was the stuff sawn straight off the loaf.

At school, it would be a slice of Devon, served on Vogel, the poor rich white kid sitting alone on his bench, wishing his school was sufficiently multicultural to provide an ethnic kid with whom he could swap lunches.

A slice of lasagne? A couple of falafels? Really, we didn't ask for much. Most of the time: it was not to be.

Advertisement

Later, we would go to university, and sit in classes entirely populated with students from entirely similar backgrounds. We'd find ourselves taking up weird hobbies – smoking French cigarettes! Wearing a strange little hat! Becoming a Stalinist! – just so we could differentiate ourselves from everyone else.

It's this daily grind of being white that takes its toll.

Just one Indigenous student, just one person from a Chinese background, and – just maybe – I wouldn't have had to smoke all those Gauloises cigarettes.

Later, after university, it would be employment, marriage and a family – all leading to a gnawing worry about the state of one's superannuation.

Because wealthy white people live much longer than other Australians – sometimes "the gap" is more than a decade – we are forced to build up our superannuation to a level that can cope with this additional longevity.

Advertisement

It's this sort of hidden burden that Senator Hanson's motion so neatly captured.

As with so many instances of white oppression, at least we have a political system which understands our pain, which understands our struggle.

It's not only Senator Hanson. The whole Parliament has long realised there's a role for positive discrimination: rules designed to give "a hand up" to those who are doing it tough.

In our case: the negative gearing laws, the capital gains discount, the franking credit system, the family trust laws and the salary-sacrifice provisions within Australian superannuation.

Some say, "where's the fairness in a program that can only be accessed by one segment of society", but that's to ignore the special problems faced by people who are right here, living among you.

Advertisement

Frankly, if you didn't grow up white and rich, it's hard to understand. You may have to check your lack of privilege.

Pauline understands. The government, at least for a time, seemed to understand. We thank them all for finally saying "Sorry".

评分

参与人数 2威望 +100 收起 理由
yearshappy + 50 很给力!
MICHELLE07 + 50 谢谢分享!

查看全部评分

回复  

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 17-10-2018 12:35:00 | 显示全部楼层
Guess you would've judged me if I showed no sympathy for poor Pauline!

Sorry, Pauline, I can really feel your pain for being white and privileged even I can't possibly walk in your shoes!

评分

参与人数 2威望 +100 收起 理由
yearshappy + 50 你太有才了!
Serin + 50 谢谢分享!

查看全部评分

回复  

使用道具 举报

发表于 17-10-2018 14:12:51 | 显示全部楼层
yping88 发表于 17-10-2018 13:35
Guess you would've judged me if I showed no sympathy for poor Pauline!

Sorry, Pauline, I can rea ...

I saw her in the news last night. That IS her

评分

参与人数 2威望 +100 收起 理由
yping88 + 50 谢谢分享!
Serin + 50 谢谢分享!

查看全部评分

回复  

使用道具 举报

发表于 17-10-2018 15:18:09 | 显示全部楼层
It is however worrisome that she gained a lot of support from Coalition and the nonsensical motion was only a narrow defeat.

评分

参与人数 3威望 +150 收起 理由
yping88 + 50 我很赞同!
MICHELLE07 + 50 谢谢分享!
yearshappy + 50 谢谢分享!

查看全部评分

回复  

使用道具 举报

发表于 17-10-2018 18:25:54 | 显示全部楼层
This bad ass bitch's got no pain. Thinking about the electoral support she clawed from LNP she is smiling like having a hanger in her mouth though it's already big.

But getting back to the motion what's wrong with being white?

评分

参与人数 3威望 +150 收起 理由
yping88 + 50 你太有才了!
MICHELLE07 + 50 你太有才了!
yearshappy + 50 谢谢分享!

查看全部评分

回复  

使用道具 举报

发表于 18-10-2018 08:35:49 | 显示全部楼层
牧马人 发表于 17-10-2018 19:25
This bad ass bitch's got no pain. Thinking about the electoral support she clawed from LNP she is sm ...

Nothing wrong with being white, but it's a farce to bring an empty slogan to the parliament without any concrete data to back it up. Actually discussing it is a waster of my time as well.

评分

参与人数 1威望 +50 收起 理由
yping88 + 50 很给力!

查看全部评分

回复  

使用道具 举报

发表于 18-10-2018 09:48:44 | 显示全部楼层
Serin 发表于 18-10-2018 09:35
Nothing wrong with being white, but it's a farce to bring an empty slogan to the parliament withou ...

If somebody has done the stats for how many times the whites have been labelled as collective sinners by MSM and the left wing politicians and how many times feminists targeted white straight men publicly then that would be more concrete than any other sort of racism.

When it comes to racism against other minorities, blacks, muslim, aboriginals etc. (unfortunately not including Chinese) people have to be very careful to offend anyone. But when it comes to white fellas just be as blunt as you can mate. You will get applauded for being a racist. To be honest as an Asian who ends up inevitably paying for the collective white guilt I really don't appreciate that.

评分

参与人数 1威望 +50 收起 理由
yping88 + 50 Interesting

查看全部评分

回复  

使用道具 举报

发表于 19-10-2018 06:28:48 | 显示全部楼层
Want some data? Here comes some data. Not the sort I mentioned but only more interesting.

In 2011 census Australia had roughly 540000 aboriginals but in 2016 census this numbers became 640000. Nearly 20% increase, by birth? Absolutely not possible. Then how? It's purely from a lot of people who didn't self identify as aboriginal in 2011 did in 2016, the people who have 1/4, 1/8, or even less aboriginal DNA. Let's not fool ourselves they changed their self-identity to seek their own aboriginal soul. They did only because they can get systematic benefits.

So back to the question, is it OK to be white? Yes it still is. BUT it's more OK to be something else even you're mostly white. So in other words being white is less OK.

评分

参与人数 1威望 +50 收起 理由
yping88 + 50 Good to know

查看全部评分

回复  

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | FreeOZ用户注册

本版积分规则

小黑屋|手机版|Archiver|FreeOZ论坛

GMT+10, 18-4-2024 15:01 , Processed in 0.047621 second(s), 23 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.